To provide long-term comprehensive health assistance to the people in the province of Pisco (pop: 125,000), specifically in the district of San Clemente (pop: 30,000).
– Treatment of acute and chronic illnesses in the urgent care center “Policlínico Peruano Americano”. San Clemente is a very impoverished area and all services are offered free of charge. Much attention is given towards prevention and health education within all facets of the clinic’s operations.
– To improve the comprehensive health of the community through outreach programs, educational programs, and public health initiatives
On August 15, 2007, Pisco, Perú experienced a deadly earthquake…7.9 on the Richter Scale. Over 1,000 people died, 40,000 families were left without homes, and 150,000 people were left without water. The majority of the health infrastructure was damaged or destroyed in the earthquake and the people were in need of medical attention. The Real Medicine Foundation team was deployed to Perú on October 12 in an effort to assist those in need.
The primary objective of our project was to bring long-term free healthcare to the victims of the earthquake who had lost their homes, possessions, and in many cases, loved ones. The areas most affected were Pisco, Ica, Chincha, Cañete, and Huancavelica. The site of the RMF clinic is in San Clemente, Pisco. San Clemente is the poorest district of Pisco and the overwhelming majority cannot afford to pay for health services. In addition, outreach programs have been initiated to service the health needs in the very remote and impoverished areas around San Clemente and Pisco.
San Clemente is a very impoverished area and all of the services offered are free. The clinic places much importance on prevention and education and this is evident within all facets of the clinic’s operations.
The new location for the Policlínico Perúano Americano opened its doors on May 19, 2014 on Calle Barrios Altos Nº 426 in San Clemente. Operating Hours: 7am – 4pm
Results and/or accomplishments achieved during this reporting period:
- Continued Dental Outreach Campaigns at local schools in San Clemente
- Carried out Anemia Screening and Awareness Campaigns in San Clemente
- Pharmacist took a month of vacation and was covered by our Nurse
- Applied for and received the permit to hold the Chocolatada Party
- Collected 150 gifts and cookies for the 2014 “Chocolatada“ Children’s Party and held the party on the 21st of December in the Municipality Building with a Clown and Santa Claus joining the festivities.
- The total income for the lab for the months of October through December was $1,652
- Dr. Jean Carlos started full time in December.
- The DIRESA licensing people have not visited yet.
- Met with the new Mayor of San Clemente who took office on January 1st and asked if the city would be able to help with funding for medicine.
Number served/number of direct project beneficiaries (for example, average number treated per day or month and if possible, per health condition).
Total Number of Direct Beneficiaries: 4,508
Policlínico Perúano Americano
Patient Success Stories
- Patients Seen: 4,508
- Average per day: 75
- New Patients: 233
- Male: 2,011
- Female: 2,497
- <1 years: 203
- 1 – 5 years: 294
- 6 – 14 years: 1,016
- 15 – 24 years: 1,023
- 25 – 39 years: 785
- 20 – 59 years: 986
- 60+ years: 201
Quispe Gómez Eugenia, 43 years old, came to our clinic presenting with symptoms of a white worm infestation.
Diagnosis: Intestinal Parasites
Treatment: Metronidazol 500 mg, every 12 hours for 7 days
Albendazol de 200 mg--> 1 tablet per day for 3 days
Noa Palomino Quispe, a 5 year old girl, was brought to our clinic by her mother with breathing troubles and normal vital signs.
Diagnosis: Acute Pharyngitis
Treatment: Amoxicilina 250mg + Acido Clavulanico every 8 hours for 5 days
Destrometofano 15 mg/ every 8 hours for 3 days
Atanasio Giraldo Hernández, 83 years old, was brought to our clinic by one of his sons. He had been brought in for a glucose exam and a lipid profile for control of his Diabetes Mellitus and control of Hypercholesterolemia. He had been having frequent headaches. He has had Diabetes for the last 10 years and comes in every month for its management.
Poma Ascona Ricardina, 76 years old, and a resident of Iquitos. She came to our clinic complaining of headaches and lower abdominal pain. Her examination and lab results showed Hypercholesterolemia and a Urinary Tract infection. The consulting doctor prescribed her the following:
Ciproflaxacino 500 mg every 12 hours for 7 days
Genfibrozilo 1 tablet every 24 hours for 15 days
RMF Perú’s Annual Children’s ‘Chocolatada’ Christmas Party at the Policlínico Peruano Americano on December 21, 2014