Develop the youth advancement component of our humanitarian work through games, sports training, vocational training and other educational opportunities.
Photos: Buwate Teams pose after playing friendly holiday matches on Buwate Sports Academy grounds
Summary of RMF/MTCF-sponsored activities carried out during the reporting period under each project objective (note any changes from original plans)
- The Sports Academy children participated in a tournament in Wampewo-Kampala, on Easter Monday. The match was between Wampewo Sports Academy and Buwate Youth Sports Academy. Buwate Sports Academy managed to win the game. Our boys are well trained and well fed, so in encounters with other sports academies, we are always sure of winning. Thanks to RMF/MTCF for equipping the children with all the necessary tools.
- We had a friendly holiday match for the children, on Buwate Sports Academy grounds. The match was well played and children from other sports academies feel like crossing from their academy to our Buwate Sports Academy because our children are so well trained and taken care of.
- In the course of the training and other sporting activities, children are always served with good meals and enough food to make them energetic and able to do the trainings.
- We gave out exercise books to the orphaned and vulnerable children, when they reported for their second term in May. Our children are stress free from worrying about buying books and pens. These are very poor children whose parents at times cannot afford pens and books, which means a child has to leave school to do small jobs to earn income to be able to buy books and pens, losing valuable time that should be spent studying. This help with supply purchases has greatly improved the performance of the children academically.
Photo: Excited children at Buwate after receiving school books and other scholastic materials from RMF
- We transported children to compete with others outside of Buwate. Our children are exposed to the difficulties that other sports academies face and are able to appreciate the services we offer them.
- Children under sponsorship had their school fees paid in time and soon they will be getting holidays.
- Wages for cooks were paid and they feel motivated to help our children.
- Purchase of food (rice, maize flour, cooking oil) and charcoal to cook for the children.
- We also purchased goal keeper hand gloves to avoid getting hurt.
- Provided first aid for some of the children, thanks be to RMF/MTCF.
- We paid for electricity for the office.
- One girl, Evelyn Nansamba, was selected for a bursary in one of the affluent secondary schools in Kampala, due to her good skills in football. The bursary runs from senior three to senior six.
- We conducted meetings with women in Buwate to see how to start up income generating activities with the two available sewing machines.
- We purchased and put up a sign post of MTCF in partnership with RMF on the Buwate Sports Academy office premises, for easy identification and visibility.
- We hosted our Donors from WCF and RMF CEO who inspired children with their encouraging words.
Photos below: Visit of WCF/MTCF representatives Doug Kendrick and Angela Geddes, and RMF CEO Dr. Martina Fuchs to Buwate
Photos: (left) Dr. Martina Fuchs, Angela Geddes and Doug Kendrick
(right) Dr. Martina Fuchs, RMF’s CEO, addressing the community of Buwate
(left) WCF’s Program Director, Douglas Kendrick, addresses the community of Buwate (right) Buwate women entertain the gathering with a Kiganda traditional dance
'Results and/or accomplishments achieved during this reporting period:
- We hosted two representatives from MTCF and RMF CEO on 30th May 2014, for the project review of the proposed health facility. To initiate this project, we still need to iron out the issue of land.
- Bought food, charcoal and cooking oil for the children and children are well fed.
- Bought hand goal keeper gloves and children feel they are equipped with the necessary tools and lack nothing.
- Purchased first aid supplies for several children in the Sports Academy.
- Wages for cooks were paid.
- The plan of constructing a health centre at Buwate is underway, pending discussions about land.
- One girl got a bursary in one of the affluent secondary schools in Kampala because of her good skills in football. This inspires the rest of the children to do well, too.
- Bought scholastic materials for the children.
- Participated in a friendly match in Wampewo and emerged as the winner.
- Participated in a friendly holiday match in Buwate and inspired many that feel like joining Buwate Sports Academy.
- School fees for children on bursary were paid and their concentration is very high now.
- Gathered women in the Buwate community to begin thinking about income generating activities
- Purchased a new sign post for the Buwate office, there is good visibility MTCF/RMF.